The Library receives numerous requests from local authors to add their books which they have self-published, or published at their own expense through companies such as PublishAmerica.
Although this type of publishing is experiencing rapid growth, these books often do not meet the requirements outlined in the Materials Selection Manual to be candidates for the permanent collection. They typically have not received reviews in standard published sources, and may not meet the criteria that the Library normally sets for inclusion in its collections.
The Library wishes to support local authors while maintaining the standards needed in its permanent collections.
The Library will establish a Local Authors shelf in one or more branches.
Guidelines for placement on the shelf are as follows:
- Authors must be Cobb County residents, or the book must take place in Cobb County, or otherwise demonstrate a strong local interest.
- Each book must be approved by the Adult or Juvenile Book Selection Committee before being accepted for placement.
- Books for the Local Authors collection will be accepted as donations from the author or publisher; however, at the discretion of the Committee, a book may be considered for purchase if published reviews in standard sources are available or there is strong evidence of appropriateness.
- Brief listing for the book will be created in the Library Catalog, so that borrowers may access them by title or author.
- Books will be processed with a barcode and CCPL ownership markings. They will not be jacketed, bound, or covered.
- Items will be clearly labeled as belonging to this special collection.
- Items will rotate out of the collection and may be withdrawn after one year, unless they have circulated regularly.
- Self-published family histories and other similar genealogical materials will be added to the Georgia Room Collection at the descretion of both the Adult Selection Committee and the Georgia Room Manager.
- Materials that are donated become the property of the Cobb County Public Library System and as such cannot be returned to the donor.
Approved: Library Board of Trustees
November 28, 2011
Link to PDF Printable Self Published Books »
Link to PDF Printable New Cobb County Authors Submission Form »