The Cobb County Public Library Bookmobile is dedicated to supporting literacy and learning by providing access to library resources and services to the community in areas where economic, social, and transportation barriers exist.
About the Bookmobile
All members of the public are welcome to use the Bookmobile at any of the scheduled community locations. The Bookmobile carries a variety of library materials in both Spanish and English for children, young adults, adults, and seniors.
How do I use the Bookmobile?
The Bookmobile is a part of the Cobb County Public Library, and you can use it similarly to a fixed branch. Materials borrowed from the Bookmobile can be returned on the subsequent visit or at any of our 16 locations. Likewise, materials borrowed from other branches can be returned to the Bookmobile. The Bookmobile does not carry cash or accept riders. The Bookmobile is a wireless hotspot and provides internet service during its stops.
Do I need a library card to use the Bookmobile?
You need a library card to check out items from the Bookmobile. If you don’t have a library card, you can apply for one on the Bookmobile. If you can provide a photo ID and proof of address, you can receive your card on the spot.
How are Bookmobile stops chosen?
- The stop must be within the Cobb County Public Library service area which extends to all of Cobb County. During our initial phase, we are focusing on the Marietta City and South Cobb areas.
- The stop should reflect the mission of the Cobb County Public Library bookmobile services.
- Sufficient library staff and resources must be available to serve the stop.
- The stop must fit into the existing schedule geographically.
- We must be able to safely park the vehicle, and it must be easily accessible so that community/staff can approach and leave safely.
- Stops with restroom facilities are helpful but not necessary.
- New stops may be requested at any time by completing a Bookmobile Stop Request Form available on the Library’s website.
Discontinuing a Stop
The bookmobile schedule is reviewed and evaluated annually. Each stop should show:
- Consistent community use
- Consistent circulation of materials
- Consistent return of library materials
- Consistent reflection of bookmobile services’ mission
If it is determined that the stop is not meeting the guidelines above, the contact person at the stop will be notified that the stop is in jeopardy of being dropped from the schedule. With input from the contact person, additional promotion of the stop will be made. If attempts to revitalize the stop are unsuccessful, the Cobb County Public Library will notify the stop’s contact in writing specifying why the stop is being cancelled and when the cancellation will go into effect.