Winners of the 2013 National Book Awards were announced Wednesday. Click links below to reserve books in Cobb County Public Library System’s Adult and Juvenile collections.
- Fiction: The good lord bird by James McBride
- Non-fiction: The unwinding: an inner history of the new America by George Packer
- Young People’s Literature: The thing about luck by Cynthia Kadohata
- Poetry: Incarnadine by Mary Szbist
Special honors were presented during the New York City ceremony: Maya Angelou accepted the Literarian Award for Outstanding Service to the American Literary Community and E.L. Doctorow received the National Book Foundation’s Medal for Distinguished Contributors to American Letters.
Several news reports are available on the awards, including:
- Washington Post’s “Maya Angelou shines, sings at National Book Award Ceremony”
- New York Times’ “Good Lord Bird is Surprise Winner for National Book Award in Fiction”