The Cobb County Public Library System provides multipurpose room space for library sponsored or co-sponsored programs as well as a service to the community for use by non-profit organizations and government or public education agencies. Priority for use will be given to library-related and county government programs and those co-sponsored by the Library. The libraries may set aside certain times for library-related programs. Permission to use the multipurpose rooms does not constitute an endorsement of an individual’s or group’s policies or viewpoints. Approval does not constitute a “co-sponsoring” relationship and should not be represented to the public as such.
Eligible community groups will be granted permission for use on a first-come, first-served and space available basis. Space may be reserved for such events as workshops, conferences, institutes, book discussions, training, touring exhibits, and programs.
Examples of organizations and permitted uses are as follows:
1. Cobb Library Foundation
5. Governmental (group sponsored by city, county, state, or federal agency)
Reservations and Approvals:
A representitive of the requesting organization must complete an “Application for the Use of Multipurpose Rooms.” The room is not reserved until the application is fully completed and signed by applicant, reviewed and signed by the library manager, and approved by the designated Meeting Room Coordinator. Applications should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the meeting date. There is no “same day” approval for groups unless the group has been previously approved. Telephone reservations will only be held for 24 hours until a signed application is submitted.
Multipurpose Rooms are reserved one quarter in advance, beginning the first Monday of the month that the library is open prior to the desired Quarter.
- 1st Quarter: January-March
- 2nd Quarter: April-June
- 3rd Quarter: July-September
- 4th Quarter: October-December
Groups cannot be guaranteed the same meeting time on a continuing basis.
1. To ensure that all groups have equal opportunity to reserve the room, on the first day of registration for the quarter, an organization may book only one meeting per week and no more than two meetings per month. Groups may not use a room more than 2 times in a week or 8 times in the month.
2. Phone reservations are not accepted on the first day of a quarter.
3. Fax, email, and mail reservations will be processed after registrations submitted in person have been processed.
4. The Board of Trustees of the Cobb County Public Library System reserves the rights to review any or all applications and may demand sufficient time to make proper investigations before action is taken on a request and may reject an application.
5. All programs and meetings must be free and open to the public with the exception of fundraising programs which generate financial support exclusively for the Library System (e.g., author lectures and workshops sponsored by the Library Foundation). No admission fee may be charged, and only voluntary donations may be collected. Groups may charge for materials used in the program or allow membership dues to be collected, but no other money transaction may be made.
6. The Library System’s name, address, and telephone number may not be used as the address or headquarters for any group or individual.
7. Groups may not transfer or assign their reservations to other groups.
8. If the Library System must close due to any emergency or inclement weather, every effort will be made to notify the contact person listed on the application.
9. Meetings must be held during posted library hours. A fee of $100.00 is applied to any meeting going one hour or any portion of the hour beyond the library’s normal closing hour for the day.
Library’s Right to Cancel or Deny Use:
The Library reserves the right to cancel or deny use of multipurpose room to an eligible group due to the following:
1. The Library has priority for use of all its facilities and meeting rooms, and reserves the right to preempt any scheduled meetings The library reserves the right to reschedule confirmed meeting room reservations to accomodate library and/or County-sponsored programs and events.
2. Library reserves the right to revoke or deny permission for the use of any meeting space for any organization found to be in violation of this policy.
3. Meeting spaces are not available for the benefit or self-promotion of individuals, political candidates, or commercial products or services. Unless otherwise specified, no sales or soliciting is permitted.
4. Meeting spaces are not available to organizations, including political parties or candidates, for fund-raising purposes.
5. Meeting spaces are not available for rallies or campaigns of political candidates. However, political forums or political study groups are permitted, so long as they are open to the public.
6. Meeting spaces are not available for social activities (e.g. parties) with the exception of County activities; or fund-raising activities (except those benefiting the library).
7. After 30 minutes, a group may forfeit its reservation if it fails to appear.
8. Notice of cancellation should be made to the library no less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled meeting.
9. If a group fails to show for two consecutive meetings and does not notify the library of the cancellation, furture reservations will be forfeited.
1. Smoking and open flames are not permitted in any library facility.
2. Alcoholic beverages may not be served.
3. The room must be left in the condition in which it was found.
4. Light food, not requiring extensive preparation, may be served in those libraries with kitchens connected to the multipurpose rooms. All refuse must be left in waste containers or taken by the sponsoring group. All tables and chairs must be cleaned.
5. Materials may not be taped or tacked to wall surfaces.
6. All groups must comply with fire and access codes that regulate the library.
7. All groups assume full responsibility for the group’s behavior and any damages to the facility or equipment which may occur while using the facility.
8. Notice of cancellation should be made to the library as soon as possible. Failure to appear 30 minutes after scheduled times may result in forfeit of reservation.
Use of library equipment must be requested when reserving a multipurpose room. Library staff is not available to work the equipment.
1. The following library equipment is provided at no charge at select facilities (call in advance):
- Podium/microphone, if available
- TV/VCR/DVD, where available
- LCD projector, where available
- Wireless internet access, where available
The following equipment and supplies are not provided:
- Flip charts and markers
- Extension cords
- Copy or secretarial services
- Ice machines
- Fax machines
2. The library will assess fees if library equipment or property is damaged or if special cleaning is necessary after the meeting.
3. The library is not responsible for the loss of and/or damage to equipment owned by the group. The library cannot store equipment or supplies belonging to a group.
This link will open the Cobb County Public Library System Meeting Room Application. » Please complete and print the form. Return the signed copy to the Library.
Approved: Library Board of Trustees
April 28, 2014
Link to PDF Printable Multipurpose Room Use Policy »