The Cobb County Public Library System provides display space for public art and exhibit as part of its mission to provide cultural enrichment for all people. In order to enrich patrons’ library experience, exhibits of paintings, photographs, sculpture, and other artworks, as well as displays of crafts, are encouraged for civic, cultural, educational, and recreational purposes.
Application and Approval
- Application for exhibit must be made through the Library Art Committee whose primary responsibilities are to coordinate the exhibit and to determine if the exhibit is appropriate for the library environment since the library serves people of all ages. The Library Associates and an appointed staff member will serve on the committee.
- The type of exhibit space available will vary by library location and not all libraries can accommodate all types of art.
- Applications are chosen on a first-come, first-booked basis.
- After approval, the Committee will contact the artist.
- Priority for displays is given to groups and individuals within Cobb County.
- Library produced or solicited displays have priority over displays proposed by non-Library groups or individuals.
- Selection to exhibit or display work does not constitute an endorsement of the work.
- Exhibits will be displayed on a monthly schedule, with no single artist displaying for more than one month in a 12 month period.
- The library reserves the right to change, reschedule or cancel exhibits when necessary.
Installation and Removal
- The group or individual displaying the art is responsible for the installation and removal of the exhibit on the scheduled dates.
- Art work should be able to hang with a wire. Hanging art should not exceed 40 pounds in weight.
- Name and contact information for the group or individual preparing the exhibit must be a part of the exhibit.
- Each work displayed should have a title label/card indicating the name of the work and artist’s name.
- The Library is not responsible for the theft or damage to items on exhibit, nor does it provide insurance to protect them.
- The Library will develop and distribute basic publicity for the exhibit.
Sale of Items
- Artists are not to display their artwork for sale during the duration of the exhibit.
Approved: Library Board of Trustees
October 22, 2012
Link to PDF Printable Public Art and Exhibit Policy »
Download and complete the Art Application »